Sunday, July 5, 2015

Help Students Own Their Learning

During the “lazy” summer months, most of us are busy reflecting on our last year’s successes and what we will change to prepare for next school year.  I don’t know about you, but one of my constant goals in kindergarten, is how to give the children more control within safe boundaries.  I appreciate how Alan November reminds us that it is a special teacher who can motivate students to take control of their own learning.


As teachers, we have a critical role to create a culture that  empowers children.  What inspired me most in the video is the reminder of the important role we play in helping students to make contributions and create content which helps others learn. Additionally, how we must guide them to document  and reflect on their learning.  It takes a skilled and artistic teacher to pull this off in a way that propels students to desire more once they leave us in June.

Technology provides many tools that can help us do this.  I recently discovered an exciting new app that seems perfect for my students!  Kindergarten, students can use Seesaw Student-Driven Digital Portfolios to document their learning throughout the year.  Very easy to use and available for both android and iPad and it’s free for educators! Check it out and let me know what you think...



No comments:

Post a Comment